Figuring out which knives and gear have been featured on TV shows seems to be becoming something of a running theme on this blog. We’ve gone through Dual Survival’s knives, Naked and Afraid’s gear, and now we’re on to the knives used in Showtime’s Dexter, specifically those knives in Dexter’s kill bag.
For the first three seasons of the television show, Dexter’s kill bag is pretty much a mess. The knives used vary from episode to episode, season to season. It’s not until the fourth season where Dexter’s kill bag gets pretty much fully sorted out: to the point where he very consistently pulls out the same knives, knife bag, and equipment over and over again from episode to episode.
The order of the knives in the season 4 onward kill bag are shuffled around a lot, thus numbering them off to name them can be difficult because the order really depends on which episode you’re watching.
For the sake of identifying the knives with a visual aid, we’ll be using a screenshot taken from Season 4, Episode 8. You can find a large version of this screenshot (the same one that is pictured below) here.
Dexter’s Knife Kill Bag
Dexter’s knife bag/roll: Messermeister 12-Pocket Knife Roll
- Mundial Future 6-1/2-Inch Stainless-Steel Cleaver
- Mundial Future 8-Inch Stainless-Steel Chef’s Knife
- Mundial Future 8-Inch Stainless-Steel Bread Knife with Serrated Edge
- Global 10-Inch Spatula (modified into a fillet knife)
- Custom-made “Hero Kill” Dexter Knife (commissioned by prop master Meltzer, and made by Brian Bero)
- Thermo Scientific Shandon Rachiotomy Bone Saw (discontinued and super rare; decent alternative: Post Mortem Bone Saw)
- Mundial Future 6-Inch Stainless-Steel Flexible Boning Knife
- Mundial Future 6-Inch Stainless-Steel Chef’s Knife
- Messermeister 10-Inch Poultry Shears
- Satterlee 12-Inch Bone Saw with 9-Inch Blade
Miscellaneous Dexter Knife and Gear Facts
- Dexter’s first kill is performed using the Buck 119BR Special Fixed Blade Knife.
- Dexter uses a Northstar 1050 HD Diamond Ripstop Series Duffle Bag to carry his knife bag and other gear.
- MSA Safety Works 817893 Adjustable Faceshield and Update International APV-2641HD Vinyl Bib Apron are both worn by Dexter when he is dismembering his victims/targets.
If you’d like to learn more about the props used on Dexter, there’s a really cool video about them that you can watch here.
A huge thank-you goes out to the folks who posted to this thread on The RPF forum for doing a hell of a lot of detective work on this topic. The OP actually has an amazing replica of the kill bag that he pieced together himself – and it looks amazing! You can take a look at that here (you’ll need to scroll down a bit).
If you’ve watched any other television shows that you’d like us to identify the gear for, let us know in the comments! Otherwise, enjoy those reruns of Dexter!